Thursday, March 1, 2012

School Days.. Part 3: tears and more tears

I told you about the bus pick up...
I told you about choosing to send him 3 days a week...

well, i haven't yet told you how he did going to school.

oh my.

well, the bus was a challenge for the first week or two.
tears every time he thought about the bus.
tears the night before when he realized it was a school day the next day.
tears as he begged me to drive him.
tears as he begged me to let him stay home.
tears if there was a supply driver.
happy when he came home.

He got better.
he didn't cry about the bus ride anymore.
i talked with his teacher and reailzd he wasn't crying so much at school.

then he got the flu.
he went to school on the wednesday.
he cried all day.
he had a fever that night.
sick all day thursday.
i kept him home on friday.

Monday was not a good morning.
tears were back.
and school was scary again.
thus began the daily tears.

he didn't full out cry about the bus anymore.
He asked every school morning if he could stay home.
I went to pick him up one day.
i talked with his teacher and she was saying that maybe a shorter day would be better for him
for them too - since he cried almost the whole day each day.
he wouldn't participate, except with small groups.
if the tears weren't coming, they were always near the surface.

we decided i'd come each day at 11:30
the hardest transition for him was going outside
i would arrive once they were outside.
the tears were starting to be less,
knowing that i would be coming when he would be outside.
He loved coming home after half a day.
i didn't know how to get him to want to go for longer days.

how did i feel?
my son, the one who loves learning, hated school.
i always heard how smart he was.
i always heard how easy school would be for him.
i knew he was shy.
he usually got better once he understood the routine.
this seemed different.

i felt like a failure.
i felt like i hadn't prepared my kid for entering school.
i cried myself to sleep some nights.
i wanted to cry when i put him on the bus.
i wanted to cry when his teacher suggested sending him half days.

it didn't matter what people said, i still felt that way.

i went to the observation time and had a chance to watch him interact.
I bribed him.
no tears and i'd buy him a rocket popsicle after.
don't judge me.
like you've never bribed your kid at some point.

he cried that day when i was leaving. 
eventhough he knew i'd be back to get him later.

no popsicle.

i talked with his ECE teacher for a while before I left.
in that talk i told her about BEAR.
Bear is the boy's best friend.
he goes everywhere with him.
when he's scared he brings Bear.
Bear doesn't go to school with him.
She told the teacher about Bear
when i picked him up later that morning i had a chance to help elijah pick out a best friend for school.
something that could go outside with him,
somthing that he could hold and bring with him to each aspect of the day.

He picked Jaguar.
a plastic jaguar.
no hesitation.
he knew who he wanted.
Jaguar goes into the boy's cubby when he's not in school.

since that day, the boy asked if he could be picked up later in the day..
then changed his mind and told me that he wanted to take the bus home.
he missed doing that.
I wanted to cry.
I was so thankful to hear my son making that decision on his own.

He started going full days again.
Jaguar is his buddy
sometimes Jaguar doesn't stay with him, but he knows where he is.
he loves school.
his teachers tell me he is full of smiles now.
he is making friends now.
he participates in all class activities.
they are finally meeting the boy i know and love.

will i have a part 4? i think so.  i need to tell you about his amazing teachers.

Oh yeah, he did got that popsicle.  the next day, actually.

5 comments:

  1. Oh I am so happy for you and Elijah and so proud of him and what an absolute blessing to have such understanding (and smart) teachers to pick up something like that.
    I worry about Noah and his shyness and coming back to Canada and him having to just jump right into full days, 7 days a week. It terrifies me. Our boys are similar in a lot of ways I think.
    For now...I'm just trusting that we're here for a reason and that transitioning back to Canada in a year and a bit will be the timing that God wants not just for me and Jamie but for Noah and Jude.
    Way to go for being open to suggestions and change and seeking to help Elijah...even if it wasn't as quickly as you thought it should have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Michelle! It is not easy being a mom. Kids go through so many stages. I think the hardest for me was when Ben went to grade one. He really pulled away from me, but everyone kept saying..."just wait he will come back". It only took about a month until he wanted his mom again! You are doing a great job! You love shows deeply! Keep up the great "eternal" work!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. to see the wisdom you have shown through so much drama! I'm proud of you! Being a mom isn't an easy role to play but the most fulfiling one and it shows how well you have handled all of it! again...I'm proud of you! Thank God that you had good communications with the teacher/s and listened to Elijah!! He's such a great kid and he's going to become a great man after God's own heart!! again...I'm proud of you, daughter!! love you lots, mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want a jaguar!! I could use something like that when things at work start getting tense!
    Seriously, that was a beautiful story Michelle, both the writing and the content. I'm so happy for Elijah - he is such a sweet boy and I'm so glad I got to know him in December. And you are a great writer!
    Aunt Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aunt Robin, and I take that as a huge compliment coming from you.
      We can see what we can do for you about sending you a jaguar - although customs may have an issue with it. He had a blast in December, i wish i could have seen yo, but so glad he got to meet yo.

      Delete