Monday, September 17, 2012

Terry Fox Run 2012: completed

Sunday was the Terry Fox Run
my parents came up to be here for it.
the plan:
my dad would walk the 5km with Dakota in the running stroller.
Dan would bike with Elijah the 10km.
I would run (no dog this year) the 5km.
*I made my decision*

Sunday morning Dan went down to check out his bike, 
and make sure all the tires, bikes & stroller, had air.
while he worked on the bike the kids went to the basement to join him.

from the basement a noise is heard.
SMACK!
then comes the noise of a child crying...
no, crying is not the word..
screaming.

i knew dan was down there, so i didn't run down.. 
and he didn't call for me. 
when the scream/crying didn't subside i headed on my way down.
He had Elijah in his arms.
the wailing was from our son.
his nose was bleeding and his lip looked as though some of that blood was from it.

We got him upstairs and i sat with him on the couch.
we iced.
he cried.

"mommy, i wish this was after."
after the terry fox run, that is.
he was definitely not feeling up to biking with daddy.
but he wanted to still.

by 10:15 we were on our way to the high school.
with bikes loaded up.
Dan brought his running shoes just in case elijah decided to sit with gramma.

the tears continued.
the blood stopped.
the lip stopped growing.
Elijah didn't want to ride.
correction.
he wanted to ride.
he just didn't feel good enough to ride.
tears stopped but were right there, waiting..
he sat with gramma.

i gave him a hug before we headed out on the run.
"i love you" i said.
"love you too" through tears starting again.
"i wish i could do it." he said..as my tears started...

and...
we were off...
dan and i running, 
me fighting tears.
dakota with papa.

i was so thankful i had dan running with me.
we talked most of the run.
and...
i RAN 5KM.
the past years I walked small sections 
this year i didn't walk once.  

i did it.
we did it.
my dad did it.
elijah is going to ride his bike next year, he says.

bottom right: i'm running for - (and with) my dad.  for Jack Verzyden. for Dr. Hillier.

holding back tears.

we did it. 

dad and kota finishing up.

our terry fox run team this year.



No comments:

Post a Comment